Model Question and Answers for APSC | Write about the success that India achieved in space technology? In what this technology has helped in socioeconomic development? ( APSC Mains-2018)
Ans : India has become a significant global player in space science and technological(S&T) developments. The credit goes to ISRO and the government’s support for it. Space technology is a dual-use technology, in this feat, apart from space research, ISRO has delivered many projects serving the military as well as socio-economic needs of India.
Achievements in Space S&T:
1. Mars Orbiter Mission
2. Successful launch of the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-Mark III (GSLV Mark III)
3. PSLV – A Workhorse Launch Vehicle
4. India’s Mission to Moon
5. Indian Cryogenic Engine & Stage
6. Remote Sensing and National Natural Resource Management System
7. Space Capsule Recovery
Socio-economic development through Space technology:
1. The first area of focus is satellite communication, which sought to address the national needs for telecommunication, broadcasting and broadband infrastructure. INSAT and GSAT are the core of satellite communication. This has particularly helped in telemedicine and Tele-education.
2. The second area of focus is earth observation and using spacebased imagery for a slew of national demands, ranging from weather forecasting, disaster management and national resource mapping and national security.
3. The GPS-aided GEO augmented navigation (GAGAN), a joint project between ISRO and the Airports Authority of India, augmented the GPS coverage of the region, improving the accuracy and integrity, primarily for civil aviation applications and better air traffic management over Indian airspace.
4. ISRO’s technologies and applications have always proved useful during natural calamities. IISRO’s support on this front was significant during the Uttarakhand Forest Fires and floods in the northeastern states of Manipur and Assam.
5. Space technology for governance and development: The spacebased tools are being used by Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), National Mission for Clean Ganga, Digital India and Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY). Also GeoMGNREGA: Geotagging of assets under MGNREGA