Model Question and Answers for APSC | What is the significance of Industrial Corridors in India? Identifying industrial corridors, explain their main characteristics.
Ans : An industrial with the corridor intent to is a package stimulating infrastructure industrial spending development. It aims to create an area with a cluster of manufacturing or other industries and gives an impetus to smart and sustainable cities by leveraging on the high speed, high connectivity transportation system.
The Significance of Industrial Corridors in India
1. Industrial corridors would generate employment and raise the standard of living
2.Production costs would come down due to the improved logistics cost making Indian goods competitive in domestic as well as foreign markets.
3. It enables firms to focus on their areas of core competence
4.People would find job opportunities close to their homes which would curb migration towards cities, thus preventing stress on the already burdened urban landscape.
5.Promote regionally balanced economic growth and prevent exploitation of the environment at a particular location
Various Industrial Corridors of India
Delhi – Mumbai Industrial Corridor Amritsar – Kolkata Industrial Corridor
The Main Characteristics of Industrial Corridors
1. Constructed in areas that have pre-existing infrastructures, such as ports, highways and railroads
2. Freight cargo would be brought to the industrial corridor via rail and road feeder links that shall
provide last-mile connectivity.
3. High-speed transportation network – rail and road.
4.Ports with state-of-the-art cargo handling equipment, Modern airports.
5.Special economic regions/industrial areas and Logistics parks/transhipment hubs.
6. Knowledge parks focused on catering to industrial needs.
7. Complementary infrastructure such as townships/real estate.
Enhanced connectivity of industrial hubs with hinterland and ports will particularly help increase the participation of Indian manufacturing in global production networks and global value chains, thereby creating jobs along the corridor.