Model Question and Answers for APSC | What are the methods used by the farmer organisations to influence the policy- makers in India, and how effective are these methods?
What are the methods used by the farmer organisations to influence the policy- makers in India, and how effective are these methods?
Ans: Even though farmers in India haven't been formally organised, they have been a strong political force in the country. In the past, when they had problems with the government, they nearly shut down the cities of the country, and they could do it again. Example recent agitation against farm bills.
The ways that farmer groups try to get policymakers to change their minds:
- Farmer groups bring attention to different needs by sending petitions to lawmakers and the executive branch. Example: Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangthan fought for the right to information.
- Through groups like Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) and Shetkari Sanghatana, which are made up of farmers
- Rallies are one of the most common ways that groups try to get the attention of people who make policy. Example: Sansad Chalo from sugarcane farmers asking for their debts to be paid off.
- Farmers are a big part of how politicians get votes. During elections, political parties often try to show that they care about farmers by having Farmers gatherings.
- Most of the time, these farmer groups directly run for office and get into Parliament and State Assemblies. Organisations like Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha that are in politics
How well these methods work
- It's hard for any elected government to ignore the feelings of the farming community, not only because there are more farmers than people in other jobs, but also because many people in other jobs come from farming families.
- These methods often take away some kind of temporary help, like an increase in MSPs or a promise to meet their demands as soon as possible.
- When an organisation's structure isn't clear and consistent, it's hard to do regular follow-up.
- Because of this, their needs are often put in cold So, it wouldn't be cynical to say that most of the methods aren't very good at getting long-term results that can be seen and felt.