Model Question and Answers for APSC | Male membership needs to be encouraged in order to make women’s organizations free from gender bias. Comment.
Male membership needs to be encouraged in order to make women’s organizations free from gender bias. Comment.
Ans: The evidence shows that when men are deliberately engaged in gender inclusion programs, 96% of organizations see progress — compared to only 30% of organizations where men are not engaged.
The contribution to the rise of the feminist movement by Mary Wollstonecraft, Simone de Beauvoir and other women feminists is unquestionable. However, there have been many men who have also significantly contributed to the upliftment of women's condition.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy campaigned against the practice of sati
- Pandit Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar led the movement for women's education and widow remarriage.
- In modern Bangladesh work of Muhammad Yunus is seminal in making credit available to rural women
- K Onler Kom, husband of Indian Olympic boxer Mary Kom, is an inspiration for all men out there
- Mahavir Singh Phogat believed in his girls and inspired them to conquer the heights of success
Need for Male membership to make women’s organizations free from gender bias:
- Radical feminists hold a deep conviction that only women can understand women’s problems and struggles, this limits the opportunity for the male to participate in feminist movement
- Women’s organization without male members often easily debunked as radical and disruptor of social order
- Without the support of man legitimate movement for gender equality may become cult of misandry and subside into mere impotent rage
- It is also required to have many men as role model for others to follow, without deeply changing idea of masculinity movement of feminism will not be successful
A study by McKinsey projects that in a “full potential” scenario in which women participate in the economy identically to men, $28 trillion dollars (26%) would be added to the annual global GDP when compared to the current business-as-usual scenario. For that to happen role of men is crucial.