Model Question and Answers for APSC | Indian Diaspora has an important role to play in South-East Asian countries’ economy and society. Appraise the role of Indian Diaspora in South- East Asia in this context.
Indian Diaspora has an important role to play in South-East Asian countries’ economy and society. Appraise the role of Indian Diaspora in South- East Asia in this context.
Ans: India and South East Asia have been close neighbours ever since the Chola era. In the past, there have been indications of trading, economic, and cultural ties between the regions. South East Asia is home to many Indians who contribute significantly to the region's economy and society. Additionally significant from an economic and strategic standpoint is India's trade with South East Asia, which accounts for roughly 10.2% of all Indian trade.
What the Indian diaspora has brought to the area:
- Most of the important parts of life in Malaysia and Myanmar, like the government, education, professional services, trade, and business, are run by people from the Indian About 2% of Malaysia's GDP comes from the Indian community, and about 3% of Malaysia's international trade comes from the Indian community.
- There are a lot of Indians in Singapore's executive, legislative, and judicial branches. Indian experts help Singapore's IT industry grow in some ways today. India also makes a big difference in scientific research, such as in biotechnology and medicine.
- Members of the Indian Community in the Philippines and Indonesia have been very important in the export of textile products, which has been a big part of their economies in recent years. Sikhs, Tamils, and Sindhis all run different kinds of businesses in the area.
- Indians have helped Brunei's economy by doing more than just running mini-marts and small restaurants. They have also filled a gap in human resources, which is a big deal.
- South East Asia is also greatly affected by Indian movies and Ayurveda.
ASEAN is the fourth-largest trading partner of India. The area gains significant significance as a result of the Northeast serving as a bridge to the region and India's promotion of the Act East programme. The Indian diaspora is unique in that it can blend in with the local population while still maintaining ties to India's past and culture. They contribute significantly to the region and maintain close ties between India and the Southeast Asian nations.