Model Question and Answers for APSC | How illegal transborder migration does pose a threat to India’s security? Discuss the strategies to curb this, bring out the factors which give impetus to such migration.
How illegal transborder migration does pose a threat to India’s security? Discuss the strategies to curb this, bring out the factors which give impetus to such migration.
Ans: Illegal transborder migration poses a significant threat to India's security. It can lead to an increase in crime, terrorism, and social tensions.
Impact Of Illegal Transborder Migration On India's Security:
• Increase in the number of illegal migrants may lead to demographic changes and may pose a threat to national security.
• Transborder migration can lead to cross-border terrorism and smuggling of arms and drugs.
• It can create socio-economic and political tensions in the border regions.
• The presence of illegal migrants may lead to increased crime rates, including human trafficking and illegal activities.
Factors That Lead To Illegal Transborder Migration:
• Economic reasons such as lack of job opportunities, poverty, and low wages. Example: Bangladesh and Nepal citizens coming to India.
• Conflict, violence, and persecution in neighbouring countries can drive people to flee their homes. Example: Illegal migrants from Myanmar and Afghanistan.
• Lack of legal channels for migration and prolonged waiting periods for visas.
• Corruption and weak border controls that make it easier for people to cross illegally.
Strategies To Curb Illegal Transborder Migration:
• Strengthen border controls and invest in better technology, including drones and other surveillance systems. Example: BOLD-QRT at India Bangladesh border.
• Improve cooperation and information sharing with neighbouring countries to identify and track illegal migrants.
• Increase the number of legal migration channels and simplify visa processes to reduce the incentives for illegal migration.
• Provide better employment opportunities and livelihood options to people in the border regions to reduce the push factors for migration.
• Enhance the capacity of law enforcement agencies to prevent and combat human trafficking and other illegal activities.
It is important to recognize that the issue of illegal transborder migration is complex, and a comprehensive approach is needed to address it effectively. The measures to curb migration should be balanced and take into account both the security concerns and the humanitarian aspects of the issue.