Model Question and Answers for APSC | Food Processing sector must be developed as one of the principal industries in the country for reasons that go beyond agriculture. Elucida........
Food Processing sector must be developed as one of the principal industries in the country for reasons that go beyond agriculture. Elucidate. Food processing is the process of changing agricultural products into edible food or changing one food item into another by giving it more value. The massive agricultural sector in India, where the emphasis has switched from subsistence to selling, offers tremendous investment opportunity in the food processing sector (FPI).
Ans: Due to the following factors, FPI recently became a significant industry that extends beyond agriculture:
- Rural economy: By increasing farm revenue through the addition of value to agricultural products, the food processing sector can help to improve the rural economy as a whole. For instance, adding value to fruits to make jam; adding value to tomatoes to make tomato sauce; etc.
- Exports: The sector of food processing can significantly help to raise the value of exports from the nation, improving the foreign exchange For instance, India's main exports are dry fruits, processed pulses, and basmati rice.
- Women's empowerment: Through its economic liberalisation, the food processing sector can lead to the empowerment of women. It may also encourage female entrepreneurs in rural areas.
- Employment: The food processing industry may significantly boost rural employment, which will cut down on rural-urban migration. For instance, the employment created by various FPI forward and backward links
- Nutrition: The food processing industry can significantly contribute to the nation's nutritional security. For instance, ragi biscuits, jowar flour, and other fortified food products.
The following actions must be taken in order to make food processing one of the main industries in the nation:
- There must be a comprehensive approach taken to close the infrastructure gaps in the supply For instance, building cold chains, warehouses, etc.
- To support the food processing industry, a strong farm gate infrastructure must be for instance, standardisation, measurement, and other infrastructure
- A greater quality of agricultural goods (raw) and completed products must be guaranteed in order to increase the export potential of the For instance, addressing sanitary and phytosanitary standards
- The availability of credit through bank connections can significantly improve the FPIs' economic viability. For instance, SHG-run micro- food processing businesses (PM Formalisation of micro food processing enterprise scheme)
- A skilled workforce, less reliance on APMCs, efficient marketing of completed goods, etc., can all significantly boost the development of FPIs.
The nation's food processing industry may take advantage of a sizable market, the availability of raw materials, and a sizable labour base. However, SAMPADA and other suitable policy measures must be used in conjunction with its development.