Model Question and Answers for APSC | Discuss the role of women in the freedom struggle, especially during the Gandhian phase.
Discuss the role of women in the freedom struggle, especially during the Gandhian phase.
Ans: The Mahatma used the aid of religious and traditional symbols of Indian womanhood to convey a complex "socio-political message"14 He equated the British rule with Ravanraj from the Ramayana, and implored the women to protect their land against British oppression just as Sita "fought" to preserve her chastity. Women were to use their superior qualities of passivity, patience and self-sacrifice to attain their goals.
The role of women in the freedom struggle, especially during the Gandhian phase:
- Many women played a proactive role in the Gandhian Kasturba Gandhi was imprisoned for participating in the Quit India movement and died in Poona Jail.
- Rani Gaidinliu: She was a Naga political and religious leader from North-East who fought to drive out the British from Manipur and the surrounding Naga areas.
- Ramadevi Choudhary: Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi into joining freedom struggle, she would campaign village-to- village to convince people for joining the She was imprisoned several times for her participation in the salt satyagraha movement, and remained committed to social work throughout her life.
- While the Vijay Laxmi Pandit actively participated in the Civil disobedience movement, Indira Gandhi organised the Monkey army of youths.
- Women played an important role in the mobilisation of the masses by leading the front through their writings.
- Women like Aruna Asaf Ali were the leading figures in the Quit India movement and edited the journal ‘Inquilab’.
- Some women also took revolutionary steps against British Kalpana Duta was one of the prominent leaders and a part of the Chittagong armoury raid.
- Bikaji Cama organized the Free India Society in the UK and was called as India’s first cultural representative of the US.
- It was Vijay Laxmi Pandit who raised the Voice of India at the UN meeting in San Franciso, while Sarojini Nadu participated in the round table conference along with
- Some of the prominent leaders of the Indian national congress included Anne Besant and Sarojini It was during the civil disobedience when women volunteers participated in the boycott and Prabhat Pheris.
It would be fitting to bow our head in honor to the acts of sacrifices, selflessness, and bravery shown by these and other women, many of whom remained unrecognized and forgotten.