Model Question and Answers for APSC | Describe the benefits of deriving electric energy from sunlight in contrast to conventional energy generation. What are the initiatives offered by our Government for this purpose?
Ans : Solar energy is obtained from the sun’s radiation and it can be converted to electricity or heat. It is freely available and thanks to advances in technology, we can now harness even more of the solar energy that is continuously available to us. With atleast 300 days of good sunlight across almost the whole country India has great potential to harness solar energy.
Benefits of deriving energy from Sun:
1. Limitless energy can be harnessed
2. Very less polluting comparing to conventional energy sources like coal based thermal power generation
3. Decentralized application are possible like rooftop solar generation, solar on commercial buildings
4. Hybrids are possible like wind solar hybrid in coastal regions
5. Efficient land use promotion like canal top solar, Solar on agricultural land
6. Sustainable energy for Climate resilient future
Initiatives of the Government:
1. International Solar Alliance to promote sharing of technology and channelize finance in solar
2. National goal of achieving 100 GW from solar under Climate goals.
3. Wind solar hybrid policy.
4. Renewable purchase agreements.
5. Inclusion of solar in priority sector for enhanced finance for sector.
6. PM-KUSUM (Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan) Scheme.
7. Carbon tax on coal sector to make solar energy competitive.
8. ISRO licensed battery tech to Indian industry to boost battery production which is key to solar energy usage