Important Books For APSC Exams Preparation
Recommended booklist for APSC exams. We have listed some of the most important books for APSC exams preparation that will help you in your journey to crack the exams.
With the unfolding of economic turmoil in the country, today’s youth is mostlikely to set long term goals with the aim to secure their future even in the worst of times. Unlike working in a private organization which always stands a chance to shut itself down during global disturbances, Civil Service workers stand strong in the storm with life-long job security and financial soundness.
Assam Public Services Commission (APSC) is one such pursuit which refers to the recruitment of members to the civil services and posts in Assam. The recruitment process is conducted through APSC Combined Competitive Exams which demandsa strategic map out, from collecting the relevant study materials to cracking the interview with consistent hard work and dedication. The second most important thing after making the basic routine plan of your study schedule is stacking up the most recommended books and study materials.
Confused about from where to start gathering books and of which topics?
Collecting the best books can be a difficult task for you, unless you have complete knowledge about the APSC CCE syllabus with regards to its levels of assessment – prelims, mains and vice-voce (interview). Researching must be a part of your study plan, mostly during the initial stage as this will help you acknowledge the books deemed necessary to make it through the APSC prelims and mains. There are plenty of books available for APSC exams, but lack of research might lead to loss of valuable time and money. The APSC CCE syllabus has recently adopted the UPSC pattern, so the books you follow would cover both of UPSC and APSC syllabus.
The overall preparation of APSC requires books that are mostly utilized during both-prelims and mains, classified according to different subjects.
Below we have listed some of the most important books for APSC exams preparation that will help you in your journey to crack APSC exams.
- Wren & Martin High School English Grammar and CompositionBook (Regular Edition): This is widely used reference book for English grammar, popular for building up a strong foundation by giving guidance and practice in sentence building, correct usage, comprehension, composition and other integrated areas so as to enhance their ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Word Power Made Easy Paperback: Authored by Norman Lewis, this book is a gem to all those who want to ace their English paper in APSC CCE exams as it improves vocabulary, grammar, teaches properimplementation of words and much more.
- English for General Competition: Authored by Neetu Singh, for better scoring in general English to strengthen one's vocabulary.
- A Mirror of Common Error: Authored by Dr. A. K. Singh, helps solve common errors and facts related to APSC CCE exams related to English.
- NCERT: NCERT books from class VI-XII are very essential to study the basics of Indian polity for competitive exams like APSC, as it includes a wide range of topics from the political history of India.
- Indian Polity: Authored by M. Laxmikanth, a comprehensive book on the subject of Indian politics- past and present, most popular among aspirants of APSC and most recommended by toppers.
- NCERT : Class VI-IX NCERT history books, recommended by toppers to learn about the basics of Indian history.
- India’s Struggle For Independence : By Bipin Chandra, a book that gives a vast overview of the Indian history from colonial India to independent India.
- History of Modern India : By Bipin Chandra, famous among aspirants for its inclusive comprehension on modern India.
- Assam: From Yandaboo to Partition- By Priyam Goswami, a book that serves as a guide to the history of Assam from the earliest treaty of Yandaboo to the 1947 partition, which is quite important for APSC exams.
- History of Assam Hardcover- by Sir Edward Gait, covers all the basics about Assam’s history and can definitely help aspirants score better.
- NCERT : Follow class XI-XII NCERT economics books, especially the second part of the class XI economics book and the Macro economics textbook of class-XII.
- The Indian Economy- Sanjiv Verma, designed according to the APSC syllabus suitable for the aspirants covering all the details of Indian Economy.
- NCERT : Follow An Introduction to Indian Art which is a book included in the syllabus of class XI. It includes the basics of India’s culture, art and heritage.
- Indian Art and Culture : Authored by Nitin Singhania, gives a comprehensive understanding of Indian art, painting, music, architecture and so on.
- NCERT - NCERT books from class VI-XII are recommended to cover the basics of Indian geography as it is easy to understand and gives a wider background of India’s geography.
- Certificate Physical And Human Geography – Authored by G. C. Leong, comprises of topics about physical and human geography in a simple and understandable language.
- Oxford school Atlas – A mandatory book to have a complete idea about the cartographic details of Indian Geography.
- Manorama Yearbook - One of the most popular books highly recommended to improve general knowledge of aspirants for APSC exams.
- General Knowledge 2020 ( Arihant Experts) - Helps in improving the aspirants’ general knowledge by keeping them updated with current affairs of India.
- General Knowledge 2020(Manohar Pandey) - Expert’s recommended book for current affairs to prepare well for APSC exams.
- NCERT – Environmental Studies book from the class XII syllabus is well recommended to gain proper knowledge about the subject.
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES – Authored by R. Rajagopalan, the book is meant for readers of all disciplines which gives a balanced presentation of the major issues and concerns related to the environment.
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude – Written by Niraj Kumar, this book helps the aspirants gain thorough knowledge about ethics and integrity in governance and also provides with the ‘objective’ keys to solve the Case Study Questions
- A Modern Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning : Authored by R. S. Aggarwal, a book which brings to the aspirants questionnaires from various competitive exams from the past.
- A New Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning : Authored by B. S. Sijwalli, this book is a comprehensive guide for analytical reasoning and logical reasoning.
- Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Exams - By R. S. Aggarwal, with more than 5500 questions, this book is a comprehensive guide to quantitative aptitude tests for the APSC aspirants.
- Quantitative Aptitude For All Competitive Exams - By Abhijit Guha, a book that helps aspirants improve their speed and accurancy while solving quantitative or numerical reasoning questions.
If you have set your goals high in the game of APSC CCE exams, success will come your way not just with constant diligence but also with smart-working round the clock. The above mentioned books will help you guide through the journey to your goal of becoming a public representative and boost your confidence to sit for the APSC CCE exams. Besides books, there are several other sources of knowledge which an APSC aspirant is expected to follow during the time of your preparation.
Reading newspapers, specifically like The Hindu and The Assam Tribune, regularly without failure will refine your writing skills and upgrade your knowledge on current affairs. It is also very important to study the NCERT books from 6th to 12th standard thoroughly which will strengthen your grip on subjects like – Indian history, economy, geography, culture, art, environmental studies and so on.
Current affairs are an important part of the APSC syllabus which requires incessant cramming of the daily news updates. Challenge yourself with regular test series and solving question papers from the past APSC exams to determine your position in the upcoming APSC exams. In the contemporary world, internet is the shop which sells the most credible and valid information.
Therefore, use your internet services efficiently to learn through different mediums of study like, youtube videos, google blog posts, online classes and so on. Undoubtedly, APSC CCE examination is a hard nut to crack, but with resolute determination and positive attitude, you can pass these exams with flying colours.