Discuss about the project “Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (BGREI)”
Ans :- Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (BGREI) :-
Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (BGREI) program was initiated in 2010- 11 to address the constraints limiting the productivity of "Rice based cropping System" in Eastern India comprising of 7 (seven) states namely Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, Easter Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal. The goal of BGREI program is to harness the water potential for enhancing the rice production in Eastern India which was hitherto underutilized.
BGREI comprise of four broad categories of interventions :-
1. Block demonstration
2. Asset Building
3. Site specific activities
4. Marketing support including post-harvest management Apart from these under BGREI program, adoption of new seed varieties, farm machines & implements , nutrients, pesticides and knowledge based interventions are being promoted in different agro climatic zones of Eastern states.
For achieving the goals of BGREI program , the following strategies are advocated :-
1. To promote improved production technology of rice on massive scale including popularizing of newly released HY cultivars and Hybrids.
2. To bring rice fallow areas under cultivation through cropping system based approach.
3. To popularize adoption of stress tolerant rice varieties.
4. To create irrigation structures like farm ponds, lift irrigation point etc. to improve irrigation potential.
5. To promote use of farm machineries and implements suitable for small land holding.
6. To create infrastructure such as godown, procurement centre, marketing infrastructure etc.
Conclusion :- BGREI is a flagship programme under “Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY)” . Green Revolution turned India from ‘begging bowl’ to leading producer of food-grains and BGREI is about binging similar benefits to eastern India that largely remained untouched of the wonder that converted the north-west into a ‘grain bowl’. The program intends to yield maximization of rice and wheat per unit area by improving agronomy, water harvesting and conservation ; and water utilization. BGREI also aims to promote the recommended agriculture technologies.