Daily Current Affairs (MCQ) | Date 13.06.22
Daily Current Affairs (MCQ) | Date 13.06.22
Q1. Angkor wat temple is situated in
India’s civilisational heritage must be treated as a matter of pride as one that unites every Indian
The long reach of culture
- The greatest Hindu temple ever built anywhere in the world (Angkor Wat) — and in Cambodia, not in India. It is having tales from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata depicted in sculpture.
- Hinduism was brought to Cambodia by merchants and travellers more than a millennium It has long since disappeared, supplanted by Buddhism, also an Indian export. But at its peak, Hinduism profoundly influenced the culture, music, dance, and mythology of the Cambodian people.
Q2. Eggs-within-eggs are a rare phenomenon almost entirely seen in
- A team of researchers from the University of Delhi has discovered a unique set of fossilised dinosaur eggs, with one egg nesting within the other.
- While eggs-within-eggs are a rare phenomenon, they are so far known to occur only in birds and have never known in This discovery brings out newer connections between reptilian and avian evolution.
- The findings, published in the journal Scientific Reports, talk about the “egg-in-egg” phenomenon in a titanosaurid dinosaur egg found at Bagh in Madhya Pradesh’s Dhar district.
- Dinosaurs of the Sauropod family were among the largest land animals that ever lived and widespread millions of years ago in the territory that is now India. Fossils of these animals have been found in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Meghalaya.
Q3. The Rajasaurus, or Royal Lizard is
- Indian Dinosuar
- Komodo dragon reptile of Indonesia
- Sub species of Sarus crane
- New reptile found in Western Ghats
India's first predator dinosaur, Rajasaurus narmadensis
The Rajasaurus, or Royal Lizard, sports a peculiar crest on its head, much like a crown. It was found along Narmada valley. (Source: HarperCollins Children’s Books)
- The Upper Cretaceous Lameta Formation of Central India is long known for its dinosaur fossils (both skeletal and egg remains).
- The egg has two continuous and circular eggshell layers separated by a wide gap like that observed in birds. Until this discovery, no egg-in-egg fossil egg was found in dinosaurs and other reptiles such as turtles, lizards and crocodiles.
Q4. Which of the following are Indian initiatives mainly to support disaster management related activities?
- The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure
- The Infrastructure for the Resilient Island States
- The International Solar Alliance
Select the correct answer from the codes given below
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 1, 2 and 3
- Loss and damage due to climate change is now a lived reality in India that requires massive funding to prepare for disasters by building capacity and strengthening early warning, followed by recovery and reconstruction after extreme weather events, the country’s delegates said in a strong intervention at the ongoing climate conference in Bonn, Germany.
- The efforts in India and other developing countries that require these large investments have to be supported by wealthy nations through a loss and damage finance facility. Averting, minimising and addressing loss and damage is mandated in Article 8 of the Paris Agreement.
- Several country groupings including G77 and China, the Alliance of Small Island States, Small Island Developing States and Least Developed Countries pressed for a separate agenda on establishing a separate loss and damage finance facility.
- The view of having a separate financing facility was opposed by the US, Australia and the European Union, which instead pushed the importance of insurance, catastrophe bonds and bilateral assistance during the dialogue.
Disaster resilience mechanisms initiated by India:
- The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure and Infrastructure for the Resilient Island States
- The Indian delegation pointed out that loss and damage pertain to actions before and after the impacts of climate change and are not confined to immediate relief, response and humanitarian aid.
- These areas are not funded by the existing finance facilities of adaptation finance, mitigation finance and Green Climate fund.
Q5. Consider the following statements about the Group of 77 (G77)
- It is a coalition of developing nations, designed to promote its members' collective economic interests and create an enhanced joint negotiating capacity in the United Nations
- India is not a member of the group
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
The Group of 77 (G77) at the United Nations is a coalition of developing nations, designed to promote its members' collective economic interests and create an enhanced joint negotiating capacity in the United Nations. There were 77 founding members of the organization, but by November 2013 the organization had since expanded to 134 member countries. Since China participates in the G77 but does not consider itself to be a member, all official statements are issued in the name of The Group of 77 and China.
Q6. The Small Island Developing States (SIDS) group includes islands countries from
- Atlantic ocean
- Indian ocean
- Pacific ocean
Select the correct answer using the code given below
- 1, 3 and 4
- 1 and 4 only
- 1, 2 and 4
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are one of the most vulnerable regions in the world. SIDS are recognized as a distinct group as they tend to share similar sustainable development challenges. They are dispersed around the globe, but categorized into three geographic regions: the Caribbean; the Pacific; and the Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea (AIMS). To facilitate international collaboration, each of these regions established a regional cooperation body: the Caribbean Community, the Pacific Islands Forum and the Indian Ocean Commission respectively.